Information about the subdermal implant
This page provides you with the information you need to prepare for a subdermal implant. A subdermal implant is a long acting reversible method of contraception (LARC), this means that once fitted it is licensed to be used for three years. For almost all women it is very safe medically and is one of the best contraceptives at preventing pregnancy. The commonest side effects are changes to your bleeding pattern or sometimes hormonal side effects.
Before attending an appointment to have an implant fitted, please watch the short video below about subdermal implants.
It is important you comply fully with social distancing and hand hygiene measures from 2 weeks prior to your appointment. Do not attend if you have had any symptoms suggestive of COVID in the previous 10 days, or have been advised to self isolate – instead please cancel your appointment, and rearrange for a time when it is safe for you to attend.
More information can be found at:
- UK patient information written by users and healthcare professionals
- The manufacturer’s patient information leaflet
Attending your appointment:
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time which may last up to 45 minutes, during the Covid 19 pandemic
- If you have Covid, have been in contact with someone with Covid or have symptoms, please phone us at 020 3317 5252 to discuss this before your appointment
- Only bring someone with you if it is essential
- You may be asked to wear a face mask, so bring one with you if possible.
If for any reason you are unable to attend your appointment, please call us on 020 3317 5252 to cancel it so that the appointment can be given to someone else.