CLASH and SHOC
CLASH and SHOC provide a free and confidential walk-in clinic for people working in the sex industry to obtain STI screening, hepatitis B vaccination, PEP and PrEP, contraception including emergency contraception, abortion referral and cervical cytology. We also offer screening and health promotion in outreach settings across Camden, Islington and Haringey.
CLASH and SHOC support the rights of sex workers to live and work safely, without harm and discrimination, and like any other NHS service will respect their autonomy and privacy.
- Covid-19 update: Important please read
This service follows Covid Government guidelines.
Please do NOT attend if you, or anyone in your household, has fever, cough or change in taste or smell or have been advised to isolate or quarantine.
All patients are requested to wear face covering/mask whilst on site unless unable to do so and then you may be asked to wait outside until your clinician is ready to see you."
- Outreach Screening and Health Promotion
Our Health Promotion Team provides sexual health “Clinic in a Box” outreach services across Camden, Islington and Haringey. If you are interested in us visiting your service please contact one of the Health Promotion Specialists below.
We can often offer the following on outreach (subject to environmental restrictions);
- 1-1 advice and health promotion
- Referral to sexual health and other agencies
- Chlamydia and gonorrhoea testing
- Hepatitis C and B screening
- Pregnancy testing
Training for Professionals and Voluntary Organisation Staff
The CLASH team are currently developing e-training which includes the following topics:
- Sexual wellness, sexually transmitted infections and contraception awareness
- Drug and alcohol use and chemsex
- Healthy Relationships
- Condom/Lubes use and demonstrations
- Sex work
Health Promotion Team
- Office: 020 3317 2555
- Kaylee: 07702 106 350
- Ilias: 07852 383 438
- Chantel: 07702 106 365
- Tanya: 07957 494 625
- Del: 07702 106 363
- Belen 07702 106 352
- Clinic Information and Services Offered for Sex Workers
The purple bird scheme informs staff that you work in the sex industry and ensures they signpost you to one of our dedicated sex worker clinics, CLASH or SHOC. When CLASH and SHOC is not running, every effort will be made to see you on the same day in the general service. However, you may be asked to return for some aspects of your care. Please download the image (right click, then choose save image), take a screenshot or show staff this page when you visit.
CLASH at Mortimer Market Centre, Capper St, Bloomsbury, London WC1E 6JB
Monday (all genders) and Friday (female-identifying only) 9am to 1pm, walk-in on a first come first serve. We have two Mandarin Interpreters present in person on a Friday every week. Telephone interpreters available on both days.
SHOC at Archway Centre, 681-689 Holloway Rd, Upper Holloway, London N19 5SE
Thursday (all genders) 12pm to 4pm. Walk-in on a first come first serve. Telephone interpreters available.
Both clinics offer the following to individuals who work in the sex industry.
- Chlamydia and gonorrhoea triple site swabs
- Hepatitis C and B screening
- Hepatitis A & B vaccination
- PrEP Monitoring for those who privately purchase elsewhere
- Cervical cytology when due, regardless of GP registration
- Pregnancy testing
- Abortion Referral
- Contraception pills, patches, vaginal ring, injection (clinician or self-administered)
- Contraceptive Implant fitting and removals
- Contraceptive IUD/IUS consultation, removals and fitting arrangement (please note that fittings are normally booked on another day)
- Emergency contraception including pill and post coital IUD (PCIUD)
- Help registering with a GP
- 1-1 support with a Health Promotion Specialist
- Ugly Mugs or Police Reporting
The following services are not done routinely and only offered in special circumstances
- Trichomonas Vaginalis
- Mycoplasma Genitalium
- Bacterial Vaginosis
- Herpes (HSV) Swab
- HPV Vaccination – Men who have sex with men only
- Safety Information for Sex Workers and Support Links
National Ugly Mugs
Sign up to NUM for free to report incidents and receive warnings about dangerous individuals. If you report to National Ugly Mugs they will use the information to warn other workers and potentially save their lives. Information can be left anonymously. Visit Ugly Mugs.
If in danger, call 999 and say “Help”. If unable to speak, once the operator has answered then dial 55
Below is some basic safety tip however, this list is not exhausted and please follow the below links for further information.
- Always have a working phone on you
- Carry an alarm or whistle
- Be aware of your surroundings and know your exits
- Try to see clients in neutral locations where help can be found quickly.
- Never lock doors or windows
- Never leave with or accept anyone in who you feel uncomfortable with
- Ideally tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back
- Ideally no drug or alcohol use as this can impact on your ability to recognise and escape danger
- Try not to accept any clients who are too intoxicated.
- Be friendly but assertive and strong. Make clear your limits and negotiate services before accepting clients.
- Always pour your own drinks and never leave them unattended. Do not accept food that is not sealed or prepared by you.
- Keep money out of sight and locked away but keep some cash on you in case you need to escape.
- Don’t wear a scarf or place anything around the neck.
- Make sure earrings or other jewellery cannot be pulled off you.
- Don’t use real names or personal details with clients or on any work related websites or social media
Trust your instincts, safety comes first!
- Useful Links Regarding Sexually Transmitted Infections, Contraception and Health